The Solid and Infectious Waste Program ensures that waste materials are disposed of in compliance with state regulation and in a manner that is protective of the public’s health and the environment.

The Program staff regularly inspects all municipal solid waste landfills and transfer stations, compost operations, scrap tire businesses and infectious waste treatment units. Commercial waste collection vehicles are inspected and registered annually. Open dumping sites are monitored and complaints are investigated.




Where can I dispose of household waste such as paint, batteries, pesticides, or motor oil?

The Montgomery County South Transfer Station at 1001 Encrete Lane, Moraine, 45439 (937-225-4999) has drop-off hours for household hazardous waste, appliances, and other items.

Where can I take yard waste (grass, brush, leaves)?

Many municipalities (including Dayton, Kettering, and Huber Heights) have yard waste collection services. You can also take yard waste to the South Transfer Station at no charge to Montgomery County residents if it contains no trash or other waste.

Where can I take scrap tires?

County residents can take up to 10 used tires at a time to the South Transfer Station at 1001 Encrete Lane, Moraine, 45439 (937-225-4999). The first 10 tires are free to Montgomery County residents.  There is a charge for disposal of additional tires and for tires brought by out-of-county residents.

Is there some way I can donate items that could be reused by someone else?

Yes. The Montgomery County Material Reuse Facility (McMRF) located near the South Transfer Station, accepts construction materials, art supplies, tools and office equipment including working computers. These are then made available to non-profit groups for reuse.

What is open dumping?

Open dumping means the depositing of solid wastes or infectious wastes into a body of water, or onto the surface of the ground at a site that is not a licensed disposal facility. Open dumping is prohibited under state law.

I found waste material open dumped on a property. What should I do?

Call the Office of Environmental Health complaint line at 937-225-4362.

What is infectious waste?

Infectious waste is anything likely to have been contaminated with infectious agents such as bacteria, viruses, etc. This includes sharps (needles, syringes, scalpel blades, etc), medical lab waste, bodily organs or tissues and blood-soaked materials.

How is infectious waste disposed of?

Infectious waste is treated in special devices called autoclaves which produce enough heat and pressure to render infectious agents harmless. After treatment, it is disposed of in a licensed solid waste facility. Most doctor and dentist offices contract with a specially licensed transporter for removal and treatment of their infectious waste.

How should I dispose of household infectious waste or sharps (home insulin needles, blood soaked bandages, etc.)?

Sharps should be placed in a hard plastic container (example: bleach bottle with cap), labeled “sharps,” and then put out with the regular trash. Other household infectious waste should be double-bagged and then may be added to the regular trash.

I manage a medical /dental office. How do I know if it is a Large Quantity Generator of Infectious Waste?

If it produces 50 pounds or more of infectious waste per month, it is considered a Large Quantity Generator. (Please contact Public Health with detailed questions on the different requirements for Large and Small Quantity Generators.)

What should I do if I see infectious waste put out for regular trash pick-up?

That depends. If it is infectious waste from a household, it is acceptable for it to be properly added to regular trash. However, if you see red or yellow containers with biohazard symbols dumped in the open, that is illegal. Report it to Public Health at 937-225-4362.

Go To Top