Public Health, along with the Ohio Department of Health and The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) are closely monitoring an outbreak of respiratory illness caused by a novel (new) coronavirus first identified in Wuhan, China. Chinese authorities identified the new coronavirus, which has resulted in thousands of confirmed cases in China. With additional cases being identified in a growing number of countries internationally. 15 cases have been reported in the United States and no cases in Ohio. There are ongoing investigations to learn more.
Public Health Advisory
Risk of Coronavirus transmission in the United States is LOW as of 2/6/2020
While the source of the virus was probably animals, it is now spreading person-to-person. It’s unclear how easily this virus is spreading between people.
No cases have been reported in Ohio to date. Updates on any future Ohio cases may be found on the Ohio Department of Health website. Novel Coronavirus COVID-2019
Public Health is reminding everyone that currently 99% of all cases are in China and the remaining 1% of cases are spread over 18 other countries.
What happens if a case is reported?
- A case or suspected case of the Coronavirus COVID-2019 is reported to a local health department.
- ODH reports to the CDC and, if indicated, patient specimens will be collected and shipped.
- Currently, testing for this virus must take place at CDC.
- ODH will work with local, state, and federal partners to investigate reports of Coronavirus COVID-2019 in order to identify cases and prevent the spread of infection.
Current Public Health Actions Have Included:
- Public Health sent a Health Alert to the Greater Dayton Area Hospital Association to have them forward to healthcare professionals within the county and region.
- A media release was generated and shared with the West Central Ohio Region Health Departments
- An interview was done with the Dayton Daily News explaining the role Public Health plays during a Public Health emergency.
- Public Health is coordinating with the Dayton Fire Department to develop and forward an informational bulletin to EMS.
- Public Health will continue to monitor the situation and if warranted we will activate the Incident Management Team.
About the Virus:
While severe illness, and numerous deaths, has been reported in China, other patients have had milder illness and been discharged. Symptoms associated with this virus have included fever, cough and trouble breathing. The virus is potentially more serious in the elderly and those with weakened immune systems.
Novel Coronavirus COVID-2019 advice for the public: Myth busters
Symptoms may include:
- runny nose
- sore throat
- a general feeling of being unwell
Human coronaviruses most commonly spread from an infected person to others through:
- the air by coughing and sneezing
- close personal contact, such as touching or shaking hands
- touching an object or surface with the virus on it, then touching your mouth, nose, or eyes before washing your hands
- rarely, fecal contamination
How to protect yourself. There are currently no vaccines available to protect you against human coronavirus infection. You may be able to reduce your risk of infection by doing the following:
- Practice good hand hygiene.
- Follow appropriate cough and sneeze etiquette.
- Don’t go to work or school when you feel ill. Stay home and rest.
- Avoid exposure to others who are sick.
- pdf Preguntas más frecuentes (260 KB)
- pdf ODH Infection Control Guidance for Prehospital Emergency Medical Services (241 KB)
- pdf CDC - Travel Card (303 KB)
- What you need to know about 2019-nCoV
- What to do if you are sick with 2019-nCoV
- Coronavirus Q & A from the World Health Organization: https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/q-a-coronaviruses
- For more information about the current outbreak in China, visit: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/novel-coronavirus-2019.html
- The Ohio Department of Health: https://odh.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/odh/media-center/feature-stories/2019-Novel-Coronavirus
- For more information about Coronaviruses https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/index.html
- For travel health information: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/watch/pneumonia-china