FEMA has opened two Disaster Recovery Centers in Montgomery County to help renters, homeowners and businesses affected by the tornadoes, storms and flooding of May 27 – 29, 2019. To request reasonable accommodation (ASL interpreting, Braille, Large print, etc.), please call 800-621-3362 in advance or ask recovery staff for assistance.

  • Trotwood- Madison High School, 4440 N Union Rd, Trotwood, OH 45426, Monday through Saturday, 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.; Closed Sunday (This location will close at the end of the day on Thursday, Aug. 8. After Aug. 8, all FEMA staff will be at the location below.)
  • Dayton Children’s Hospital, Child Health Pavilion, 1010 Valley St., Dayton, OH 45404, Monday through Saturday, 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.; Closed Sunday

If you are a homeowner or renter who initially received rental assistance from FEMA and home repairs are taking longer than expected, you may be eligible for additional rental assistance. You must provide FEMA with a completed Declaration of Continuing Need for Rental Assistance form, as well as other required paperwork to show you used your initial funds from FEMA to pay for new housing. Return the Declaration form with the paperwork to FEMA’s Individuals and Households Program by:

  • Mailing them to the National Processing Service Center, P.O. Box 10055, Hyattsville MD 20782-8055.
  • Faxing them to 1-800-827-8112.
  • Uploading them to your online account at DisasterAssistance.gov (or creating a new account at the website and uploading them to it).
  • Visiting any open Disaster Recovery Center. To find the center closest to you, visit fema.gov/DRC.

For more information, call 800-621-3362 (TTY call 800-462-7585), from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. EDT every day. Multilingual operators are available.

If you have any questions regarding FEMA Assistance or the letter your received from FEMA regarding your assistance, please click these links to find more details:

  1. Understanding Your FEMA Assistance Letter
  2. Key Facts to Know About Federal Disaster Assistance 
  3. Residential Storm Damage Next Steps


Businesses who received damage from the recent storms can contact BusinessFirst! for additional resources by calling (937) 225-4351 or visiting www.BusinessFirstDaytonRegion.com.

FEMA and the Small Business Administration have also opened a Business Recovery Center at the Harrison Township Community Center, 5945 North Dixie Drive Dayton, OH 45414, Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Businesses, nonprofits, and homeowners are eligible for disaster loans through the Small Business Administration. These loans can be used to repair or replace disaster-damaged real estate, machinery, equipment, inventory, and other building assets. For more information, contact 800-659-2955 (800-877-8339 for the deaf and hard-of-hearing) or by sending an e-mail to .  

  • The filing deadline to return applications for physical property damage is  Aug. 19, 2019.  
  • The deadline to return economic injury applications is March 18, 2020.


Disaster Unemployment Assistance Available: Montgomery County citizens who are unemployed due to the disaster are eligible for disaster unemployment assistance. Individuals should call 1-877-644-6562 to make applications. 

Job placement, training, and supportive services are all currently available at The Job Center at 1111 S. Edwin C. Moses Blvd. in Dayton. Montgomery County is encouraging anyone who has lost work because of the recent storm damage to come to the red door at The Job Center for employment help. Anyone in need of services should attend orientation, which is held at 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. every Monday through Thursday.

Montgomery County's Workforce Specialists are also out in the communities affected by the tornadoes, helping people with resumes and linking them with job openings and training programs. Anyone needing help in their employment search can find Workforce Specialists at the following locations, Monday through Friday, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.:

Dayton Children's Hospital Child Health Pavilion
1010 Valley St., Dayton
(this is also a FEMA site)

Workforce Specialists will be at the Life Enrichment Center, 42 N. Findlay St., from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on:

  • Wednesday, Aug. 7
  • Wednesday, Sept. 4
  • Wednesday, Oct. 2


Montgomery County Environmental Services has announced they will be temporarily waiving water consumption fees for water and sewer customers whose properties were damaged by the May 27, 2019 tornadoes. These fees are for both residential and commercial properties and include: emergency shut-off fee, trip charge fees, pull meter service fee, lost meter fees, late fees, and abandonment permit fee.

If you are a Montgomery County customer and your dwelling was destroyed and is unlivable: 

  • The fees listed above will be waived and you will NOT be charged a quarterly bill until water reconnection is made. If a quarterly bill has already been paid, the account will be credited for charges that occur on or after Monday, May 27, 2019.
  • You MUST have a contractor that has a bond/insurance on file with Montgomery County to obtain an abandonment permit (free of charge) and have services disconnected through the Environmental Services’ Permits Department.  This is to protect the quality and integrity of our water and sewer system and to ensure proper records are kept.
  • If you have questions about the permit process, please call 937-781-2628.
  • If you have other questions about your account, please call 937-781-2688.

If you are a Montgomery County customer and your dwelling sustained major structural damage (as classified by the Emergency Management Agency):

  • The fees listed above will be waived.
  • You will be billed up to the date prior to the tornado and all water consumption fees from Monday, May 27, 2019 forward will NOT be included on that current bill. Normal billing will resume for the next billing cycle.
  • Please note: ONLY the consumption fees will be waived, not the complete bill.



Homeowners who need help or guidance on how to proceed with property demolition, repair, and permitting, should reference the Residential Storm Damage Next Steps Handout (pdf).

If a natural disaster destroyed your housing and you need assistance with moving expenses, rental deposit, rent and utility payments, contact these numbers for assistance & resources: 

If the tornadoes destroyed your rental housing to the point that it is deemed uninhabitable:  

  • Contact your landlord or property management company to ask if there are comparable units available. Units should be comparable in pricing, bedroom size, amenities, and location.  
  • You can immediately vacate the premises and notify the landlord in writing of your intention to terminate the rental agreement, in which case the agreement terminates on the date of vacating.  
  • You are entitled to a refund of your security deposit if you have been forced out of your housing unit long term due to a natural disaster situation that’s out of your control.

Property Taxes: Properties damaged/destroyed in the Memorial Day tornadoes may be  eligible for a deduction in taxable property value. Call Montgomery County Auditor’s Office at (937) 225-4326 or visit http://www.mcauditor.org/.

Property Deeds: Montgomery County Recorder’s Office will provide FREE property deeds to those impacted by the storm. Visit the Montgomery County Recorder’s Office from 8AM to 4PM, M-F, at 5th Floor, County Administration Building, 451 W. Third St., Dayton.

Legal Assistance and Fair Housing Resource 

Homeowner Assistance – Home Repair Programs 

  • CountyCorp: (937) 225-6328 
  • Rebuilding Together Dayton: (937) 223-4893 
  • People Working Cooperatively: (513) 351-7921 


The Montgomery County Commissioners voted on July 20, 2019 to waive fees for all permits and inspections for the demolition, repair, and reconstruction of buildings damaged during the Memorial Day tornadoes. This fee waiver is effective through October 31, 2019, and it is retroactive to May 27, 2019.

Property owners and businesses will still need to get permits for all demolitions, repairs, and reconstruction, but the associated fees will be waived. 

For more information on building permits, visit www.mcohio.org/build. Anyone with storm damage repairs who have already paid the permit or inspection fees between May 27 and today can call Montgomery County Building Regulations at (937) 225-4622 and ask about a refund of those fees.


Montgomery County is helping the community to rebuild by issuing permits at no charge for electric and gas piping permits. This waiver is effective immediately for restoring services to properties affected by the recent storms. These waivers will be in effect through July 31. Property owners still need to apply for permits for safe reconnection!

Each property will need to be inspected to ensure safety when turning on the utilities, but the fees for these permits will be waived. For electric and gas reconnects, DP&L and Vectren are already inspecting properties that sustained minor or no damage, and restoring service where it can be done safely. If they find damage or leaks, they will inform the owner or tenant to have the damage repaired, and to then contact Montgomery County Building Regulations for permits and inspections.

To request a damage assessment, follow these steps:
1. Apply for a Damage Assessment permit. (www.mcohio.org/build)
2. Permits will be issued within 48 hours.
3. Request the damage assessment inspection, and an inspector will visit your property the following business day to conduct the damage assessment.
4. When the assessment is completed, you will receive a damage assessment report which you can submit to your insurance agent.

Any questions concerning permits for ensure safe utility reconnection should be directed to the Montgomery County Building Regulations Department at www.selectmcohio.com/mcohio/building or (937) 225-4622.

NOTE: To view your damage assessment report online, go to www.mcohio.org/build, select “Check Permit Status”, and type in your case (building permit) number or the address of the property. Please note, there are separate application forms for Commercial permits and 1,2 and 3 Family Residential permits. For multi-family buildings, assessments may be applied for on a “per building” basis. You don’t need to apply separately for each apartment.


The Ohio Treasurer’s office administers two economic development programs that may be beneficial to impacted individuals or entities when insurance coverage or relief funds do not cover the full cost of repairs or replacement of property, equipment, or vehicles, or if those impacted did not have insurance coverage for the damage incurred.

  • ReEnergize Ohio and ECO-Link offer interest rate reduction on loans for damage from natural disasters for any Ohioan with a small business or a primary residence located in Ohio. The bank loan application must be submitted in conjunction with a participating Ohio depositary bank. The borrower and the bank loan officer complete the application online. Please contact the Ohio Treasurer’s Department of Economic Development at 614-466-6546 or 1-800-228-1102 for assistance finding a participating bank in your area.
  • ReEnergize Ohio (previously Renew Ohio) assists small business owners and farm operators who require loans to repair or replace their property. The ReEnergize Ohio linked-deposit program can work with SBA loans as well.
  • ECO-Link (previously Rebuild Ohio) assists homeowners with financing the restoration or replacement of their primary residence through the use of construction or restoration loans.

More information about ReEnergize Ohio and ECO-Link can be found at http://www.tos.ohio.gov/Economic_Development. If you have any further questions, please contact the Ohio Treasurer’s Department of Economic Development at 614-466-6546 or 1-800-228-1102.


  • Samaritan CrisisCare: (937) 224-4646 
  • SAMHSA Disaster Distress Helpline: 800-985-5990. Nationwide hotline for individuals experiencing emotional distress for any disaster.  Or text ‘TalkWithUs’ to 66746 


Montgomery County residents in heavily affected areas will continue to experience approximately a 20% reduction in disposal costs only until October 28, 2019 per a 90 extension granted by the Ohio EPA. Do not dump trash or debris! All trash or debris should be taken directly to the Solid Waste District or transported by private haulers from the curb. Jurisdictions and private haulers are helping to manage cleanup for trash and construction/demolition debris by providing large dumpsters in affected areas. Additional information at (937) 225-4999 or www.mcswd.org.

Go To Top