Open Burning Advisory

The Regional Air Pollution Control Agency (RAPCA) would like to remind residents that open burning for the purpose of residential waste disposal is prohibited within all city limits and many areas beyond. Residential waste includes brush, wood, tree trimmings, leaves, grass, weeds, shrubbery and other plant waste material.

Open burning contributes to the overall degradation of our air quality and causes breathing difficulties for those suffering from respiratory illnesses like asthma, emphysema, and bronchitis.

The Ohio open burning rules prohibit the burning of garbage in all areas and the burning of residential yard waste (including lawn clippings and leaves) within 1000 feet of your neighbor’s home.

Residents living outside of the city limits, in some cases, may be permitted to burn residential and agricultural waste which originates on the premises, provided they meet the following requirements:

  1. The burn site must be located at least 1,000 feet (approximately 3 football fields) from the nearest neighbors occupied building.
  1. The wastes must be stacked and dried to provide the conditions for efficient burning (i.e. green tree limbs do not meet this criterion);
  1. The fire may only be set when atmospheric conditions will readily dissipate contaminants;
  1. The fire must not create a visibility hazard on roadways, railroad tracks or air fields; and
  1. No products may be burned which contain rubber, grease, asphalt or liquid petroleum products.

RAPCA also cautions that ‘recreational’ fires and cooking fires are not intended for waste disposal purposes and are only allowed to contain clean, dry, seasoned firewood, which burns hotter and cleaner than green brush and yard waste.

Please contact your local municipality or trash hauler to determine your disposal options. In many cases there is minimal or no cost involved. 

Homeowners meeting the above criteria are also reminded that open burning during Air Pollution Advisories is prohibited, so be sure to call RAPCA’s Air Line at 937-223-3222 or visit to make sure no air alerts have been issued and for more information.

Information on open burning laws, permits, and alternatives to open burning, can be found at or by calling RAPCA at 225-4435.

Complaints regarding open burning should be directed to RAPCA at 937-225-4435.

Most Read News Releases

Regional Public Health Agencies to Administer COVID-19 Boosters

Stay at Home Health Advisory

Montgomery County Unintentional Drug Overdose Data Reports

Street Drugs Laced with Deadly Levels of Fentanyl

Police Seize Fake Oxycodone Containing Deadly Drug Fentanyl